The technique of Inner Bonding® balances the power system in an individual’s psyche. Our conscious self (called The Loving Adult) learns to intervene when the fearful and controlling part of ourselves (which Inner Bonding calls the “Wounded Self”) is engaging in beliefs or behavior that cause us pain. When the Loving Adult takes the loving actions recommended by our inner wisdom (“Guidance”), then the Authentic Self (“Inner Child”) is free to be happy and experience the world and express her/himself fully. This frees us from the prison of misery and paralysis, which allows us to be self-sufficient, self-supporting, kind, wise, intuitive and courageous.
Most of us weren’t brought up this way or taught this in school, yet it is something you can learn through practicing The 6 Steps of Inner Bonding®, a process created by Dr. Margaret Paul and Dr. Erika Chopich.
What We Do in a Session
Each hour-long session includes practicing the Inner Bonding process:
- Create a sacred space for yourself where you can connect with your feelings – with compassion for them. Let yourself feel your feelings as fully as you can.
- Open to learn from your Higher Guidance.
- Presence yourself as a loving Adult who takes responsibility for your Inner Child’s feelings.
- Find out what you may be believing, doing or not doing that is causing your feelings.
- Dialogue with your negative self-talk to learn how it’s trying to protect you by having you believe these hurtful things. (Yes, its harsh judgments are trying to protect you in the same way it thought you needed protection when you were young).
- Dialogue with your Higher Guidance to find out what the truth is about the hurtful things you’ve been believing about yourself.
- Find out from your Guidance what is the most loving action you can take for yourself in this situation.
- Take the action. (Sometimes you might take the action after the session, depending on what action is required.)
- Then see how you feel as a result of taking the action. If you feel more whole, calm, clear, then the process is complete. If you don’t, look to see if you might have been in some disconnection, avoidance or resistance the first time. Then do the whole process again, from a place of surrender and trust.
Practicing this process begins to build trust and healthy, caring connection between your Inner Child and Loving Adult. As you take the loving actions, you will experience fulfillment and relief and your external life also changes for the better.
Sessions are one hour in length. I work on-on-one with individuals in person in Denver, Colorado, as well as via Skype and telephone.